Public art is therapeutic!

    I just showed a group of middle schoolers from Africa and Central Asia a sampling of cool murals painted all over the world. We talked about how people come up with ideas and designs before painting them, and the power of public art. I then told them how myself and another colleague are finding a space for them to paint a mural in Albuquerque.... they just need to start coming up with ideas! Each kid was inspired and started developing some great images and ideas.
   Public art is so powerful, for both the audience and the artist. I have designed and coordinated the painting of several public and private murals - every experience has been satisfying and empowering. Now as an art therapist, I want to support kids who are resettled in the U.S  from war-torn regions of the world to have their voices heard through public art. I have the opportunity to work with refugee youth who are not my clients in summer and after school programs. If everything is copasetic, I will post images of the process here. I am regularly amazed by the artistry, creativity, and skill that so many children have.
   I personally love the mural project in Philadelphia: http://muralarts.org/  I also admire the NYC organization Groundswell Community Mural Project: www.groundswellmural.org If anyone has another project to recommend, feel free to post a comment!

Comments

  1. Wow, the mural arts flickr page is very cool. I especially like the mural with the foliage.

    It seems like this will be a great way for children from different continents to bond with each other. One of the things I love about Albuquerque/Santa Fe is how much the culture embraces the arts. Through public art, the youth can leave their mark in their new environment. I hope it all works out. I am looking forward to seeing the pics.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Ama, Thanks for your support! You are right about how this region really does embrace the arts. Albuquerque is currently swelling with new murals in the downtown area -- they are very sophisticated and cool. The kids are very motivated by the idea of "making their mark" for the city to see! I haven't seen so many them get so thoughtful and intent about an art project.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Beautiful work!!! What wonderful work you are doing Jessi. Hugs Karen

    ReplyDelete
  4. Outstanding Work., I LOVE your blog,. So inspirational..Stopping by from http://theartsygirlconnection.blogspot.com/ - I'm Marilyn & newly following you.. Can't wait to indulge in more of your awesome posts.. Pls stop by sometime... Thank You.. ;))

    ReplyDelete
  5. Thanks Marilyn, I am so glad you like my blog! I will check out your blog right now.
    Thanks for your support!

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular Posts