More cultures, more interests

   I will soon be starting to work with Central American immigrant families as a bilingual therapist, alongside the work I do with refugees. Time to brush up on my Español! At a previous job I did this kind of work part of the time -- most of my clients were English speaking, but I usually worked with several spanish-speaking clients as I was the closest to bilingual the agency had. I am forever grateful to those families who were so gracious and patient with my limited Spanish skills. I would never be as proficient as I am now if it weren't for their generosity.
   I have taken several informal Spanish classes, but most of my learning came from speaking with children and families with whom I was trying to do art therapy and counseling. I actually found that being not-quite-proficient evened the power differential between myself, the privileged gringa clinician, and my clients, recently arrived families who often felt shame for needing help with their children. We all stumble in this world.
   I also know, from past experience, that the experience of many Central Americans is not so different from those with official refugee status. Many folks I've served have witnessed and/or been  subject to violence and persecution in Mexico and Ecuador, among other Latin American countries. What determines the label of "refugee" seems somewhat nebulous to me.

Comments

Popular Posts