My studio spaces over the years

As an art therapist and an artist, I am always maintaining some type of space in which to do my own art. It has ranged from a spacious studio in some hip or ragged community art building to a spare bedroom to a side of the kitchen table, but exist it always has. As art and art therapy have been inextricably woven into the fabric of my life before I had even heard of art therapy - I was essentially processing my own early hardships through art as a child and adolescent - I cannot fully do one without the other. My personal art is always inspired and informed by the work I do as an art therapist, helping others explore their depths and develop solutions through creative processes. My art therapy work is not nearly as vibrant when I am not actively creative myself: it's as if I need to be personally tapping into that river of consciousness through art to lead others there as well. When I am not working on a painting or creative project myself I am less likely to encourage my clients to make art in session.

So below are some photos of a few of the studio spaces I've had over the years, ending with my current one in the corner of the living room. I used to believe I couldn't be as focused in my own home as I could in a separate studio. The current necessity of working out of my home has utterly contradicted that belief: I've been as prolific in a corner as I have been in a large studio.










Comments

Popular Posts